Years ago, when the children were small, the arrival of August would mean that the dog days of summer were drawing to a close and soon we would have to start back to school shopping and discussing their birthday plans. (Both my kids are born in September!) Excitement would mount as the kids and their friends would speculate, who’s class will we be in? Eagerly anticipating the release of class lists and teachers.
Now with adult kids, and a limited time running out to enjoy the beautiful days, things have changed. Don’t get me wrong, I look back with love and remember the endless summers I was lucky enough to spend with them. Looking at our summer list with places and things to do that at this point in the summer would be all checked off. But as life changes and kids grow. It’s the hubby and I that are making our plans.
For those of you that may be in a comparable situation and perhaps don’t have grand kids to keep you busy quite yet. There is an abundance of things you can do, while the summer weather is still with us. Here is a list of some of the things that Hubby and I get around too, with a few that we still should do:
- Oshawa- Tree top Eco-adventure park– From zip lining, to axe throwing and combat archery there is an abundance of things to do! There’s even night climbs and this is all located here in Durham region.
- Port Perry- Blue Heron Casino always promises a good time, but the fave for hubby and I is a stroll along the Port Perry waterfront. Often there is a musical or a movie night in the park. A beautiful way to enjoy the lake and the weather.
- Niagara on the lake- We always make it out to Niagara on the lake, the lure of fresh peaches and wine is all it takes! Touring the wineries and then settling in for a nice after noon lunch overlooking the vineyards is so much fun!
- Dining in Toronto is a blast- We love Rodney’s Oyster House; the fresh delicious abundance of Oysters is both mind boggling and delicious. The staff is patient and knowledgeable as they help you make your selections (if you are a newbie to the oyster world). Might I add that they have the most delicious and spicy Caesar I have every had! Highly recommend!
- Jazz boat cruise- We never miss Eddie Bullen’s smooth jazz boat cruise, this year it will be held on August 18th on the River Gambler, complete with a delicious dinner served to the sounds of fantastic jazz as the boat cruises around the Toronto skyline at sunset.
Enjoy the beautiful days we have left! If you have been somewhere fantastic in the city or GTA. Let me know so I can shout it out from the rooftops! Well blog about it!